Los Cacaos, Dominican Republic Winter 2019
Los Cacaos is located in the mountainous province of San Cristóbal in southern Dominican Republic, west of the capital Santo Domingo. Coffee is the principal source of income for the people of Los Cacoas but recently the plants have been infected with “Roya” or coffee rust which has devastated the harvest. Diversification of the economy is greatly needed in this area and producing vegetables in greenhouses is a viable option.
This short-term study program focuses on cultural exchange through engagement with daily Dominican Life. Students will experience city life with tours in Santo Domingo and rural life through a community placement in Los Cacaos where NC works with a Fair-Trade coffee cooperative.
While in Los Cacaos, students will engage in activities related to fair-trade coffee production, greenhouse production, environmentally sustainable growing methods and interacting with community members in cultural exchanges. A major project that will be done on this trip will be the construction of a steel framed greenhouse.
Please find itinerary below. This itinerary will change daily, hourly, by the minute. Please be flexible, we are guests in Los Cacaos and they try their best to accommodate us.
Please note this trip will be eligible for a $500 Be World Ready grant to help offset the cost.
$400 will be awarded upon completion of pre-departure requirements + $100 will be awarded upon return from your Field Study. More information regarding grant distribution as well as the multi-stage process of completion can be found on the 'Grants' page.
- Arrive in Santo Domingo and check into Hotel Monumental
- AM: Tour of Santo Domingo and Los Tres Oyos with Juan Sanchez
- This costs $20 US per person – you must bring this to pay Juan
- PM: Travel to Playa Juan Dolio with Angelo (bus driver) for team building
- Breakfast at Hotel and then board bus to Los Cacaos
- Lunch in Los Cacaos
- Orientate ourselves with the town
- Greenhouse check in
- Assemble materials for greenhouse
- Assess anchors and greenhouse construction
- Tour coffee nursery and processing
- Travel to school near Julias
- Meet with Julia and learn about her Café Femenino
- Interact with students at the school
- Work on Greenhouse building in the afternoon
- AM: Morning with Milton in rain forest (learn about the species of plants and fruit)
- PM: Visit High School to teach Plant Propagation and interaction with students
- Travel to Presa Jiguey (the dam)
- Projects, playing with kids on the street, finish greenhouse arches and who knows what else!
- Fly back to Canada (mandatory, sorry)
Payment PlanNote that the fees included below are approximate and may vary at any time.
$550 is due December 5, 2018
$550 is due January 8, 2019
$150+/- is due January 29, 2018
Option 1—Direct Deposit – Online
When making payment through online banking:
- Set up Niagara College as the payee and use your student number as the account number
- Once payment is made, you MUST email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name, student number, payment amount and indicate that payment is for International Field Study: Los Cacaos, Dominican Republic Winter 2019. Please copy Be World Ready, at email@example.com on the email
- The following business day the payment will be uploaded to your student account and as long as Student Accounts receive an email from you, the IFS charge will be posted accordingly
Option 2—In Person
Go to Student Accounts located in the Registrar’s office at Niagara College. There is one at each campus. Have your student number available. Indicate that you would like to make a payment for an International Field Study: Los Cacaos, Dominican Republic Winter 2019. Make payment (either deposit or final payment) for your International Opportunity to your student account.
Students MUST email the Be World Ready team immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org, from their Niagara College student email account, to notify the team of your decision to no longer participate in an IFS. If no notification of cancelation is received by email to the Be World Ready team after the initial deposit date, all payments are 100% non-refundable regardless of the below schedule of cancellation fees.
It is imperative that the Be World Ready team is notified of your choice to withdraw from any IFS as soon as possible. A missed payment is not considered a notification of no longer wishing to participate in an IFS an email must be sent to email@example.com expressing your desire to withdrawal.
If a student needs to cancel their International Field Study, they may qualify for a refund of monies paid based on the schedule of cancellation fees outlined below:Schedule of Cancellation Fees
- 0—30 days of deposit date: Refunds will be granted based on vendor/supplier payments made by the cancelation date
- 31—60 days of deposit date: 50% loss of all payments made to date
- 61+ days of deposit date: All payments 100% non-refundable
- Apply online
- Email a copy/photo of your passport to
- Please ensure all text is legible as this is required to book your airline ticket
- Pay the deposit (spots for this trip are only secured after a deposit payment has be made)
All, full-time Niagara College students participating in an international activity are eligible for up to $500 worth of Be World Ready grants to help offset the cost of their experience. In order to qualify for the grant:
- Apply to an international experience
- Attend a mandatory pre-departure meeting (dates to be determined)
- Complete the online pre-departure component (consisting of Blackboard modules and forms to sign)
- Successfully attend the international experience
- Upon return, submit two high-quality photos along with a well-written testimonial referencing your experience abroad to the Be World Ready team
$1250+/- (Grant Applied)
Feb 23, 2019—Mar 2, 2019
Santo Domingo and Los Cacaos
Latin American Cultural exploration, Fair Trade, Greenhouse Technology
Greenhouse Technician, Landscape Technician, Horticulture Technician
December 5, 2018